October 13-14, 2023
Welcome to the 2023 Sharon Springs Poetry Festival
The seventh annual Sharon Springs Poetry Festival will feature three extraordinary poets:
On Friday night, October 13, at 7:30 PM each of our guest poets Ilya Kaminsky, Katie Farris, and Maggie Millner will present a public reading in the auditorium of the Sharon Springs Central School. Afterward, you’ll be able to meet the poets in the lobby, purchase a copy of one of their books — which they will gladly sign — and meet your fellow poetry lovers. This event is free and open to the public.
Festival founder, Paul Muldoon, and the three guest poets will conduct poetry workshops for students in local area schools. Sharon Springs Central School will host and coordinate the event, and this year’s student participants will be from Sharon Springs, Cobleskill-Richmondville, Cooperstown, and Canajoharie.
Why are such well-known and accomplished poets willing to do this? Because, like us, they know it is important. Like us, they believe that the arts are essential and that they contribute in direct and tangible ways to the well-being of diverse and democratic societies. What better way to show our commitment to these lofty ideals than to support the work and enthusiasm of our students & teachers?
On Saturday, October 14, Ilya Kaminsky, Katie Farris, Maggie Millner, and Festival founder Paul Muldoon will each conduct an in-person poetry workshop for adult members of the community. Workshops are free; anyone 18 or older may register:
- Workshops are two hours (10:00 AM to 12:00 PM) and are strictly limited to 8 participants per workshop;
- Advance registration is required (registration site coming soon);
- Workshops will be conducted in person in Sharon Springs (locations to be announced).
- Each participant must submit, in advance, a poem of their own composition to share and discuss with the group.
- Limit one workshop per person; one ticket per person.
Saturday, October 14, 2023, in the American Hotel:
- @ 2:00 PM, “Poetry and Pragmatism,” a panel discussion with Ilya Kaminsky, Katie Farris, Maggie Millner, and Paul Muldoon. Free; no advance registration is required.
The 2023 Sharon Springs Poetry Festival is supported in part by the National Endowment for the Arts. To find out more about how National Endowment for the Arts grants impact individuals and communities, visit www.arts.gov.
Klinkhart Hall Arts Center’s programs are made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature.
These events are free to the public, but they are not cost-free to produce.
You can help the nonprofit Klinkhart Hall Arts Center continue to bring the Sharon Springs Poetry Festival to our community by making a donation at